As I am looking at flat lays I thought I should see if there are any good tips around (besides looking at artists who do it)
I have found various articles although a lot of these are for amateurs or Instagram users so many mention to use lots of light – preferably natural. I know I will be using a softbox for the final shoots. Here are some of the points I picked up:
- Simple background – nothing too distracting. Either one colour or two tones. But also use something that adds context – if you’re on a beach use the sand.
- Play with different textures for your background – just to add a little more interest.
- Composition is key – usually less is more. If you have a main item put this down first and work around it.
- Don’t lay things equal distances apart. However each item does need it’s own space.
- Try to keep within the same tones and make sure they compliment each other
- Stick to one theme – don’t over complicate
- Don’t put too many objects in one section of the photograph.